Clifton House, Niagara Falls, Canada, July 4, 1855.
This bill of fare (rather, “fair,” as written on the cover) is dated July 4th, 1855. The Clifton House, built in the 1830s, was located on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. In an article about the fire that destroyed the hotel in 1898, the New York Times wrote, “The Clifton had a world-wide reputation as being the only hotel at the Falls with a view of both falls and gorge, and was the favorite with foreigners and others of wealth and station. A number of foreign crowned heads, royalty, and nobility have stopped there.” [June 26, 1898]
Take a look at that wine list!
(And take a look at the cleaned up version by Cool Culinaria…)